The Eccles Community Art Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to a continued effort to stimulate interest, foster awareness, and provide education in all visual and performing arts.
The house known as the Eccles Community Art Center was built in 1893 for James Clarence Armstrong, an Ogden businessman. In 1896, the house was purchased by David and Bertha Eccles. It owes much of its character to David, Bertha, and the twelve Eccles children who occupied it for fifty years. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
When Weber State moved its campus, the house and other buildings of the downtown campus reverted to the ownership of the LDS Church. The history of the house took another turn at this point thanks to the efforts of a group called the Ogden Community Arts Council. Formed in 1953, the Council was made up of representatives from over 20 local civic and cultural organizations interested in providing a center for the arts in this community. Knowing that their goal was most compatible with the wishes of Bertha Eccles, the Ogden Arts Council approached the LDS Church, requesting the house for use as a community art center. A deed to the Eccles home was given to the Council, in 1959. The name given to the facility was Bertha Eccles Community Art Center. In 1976 the name of both the facility and the non-profit organization that supports it was changed to the Eccles Community Art Center.